1. The state flower of Colorado, the Columbine, is actually a wildflower! It was named the official state flower in 1899 - voted by school kids! The blue petals represent the sky, the white ones stand for snow, and the yellow center is a symbol of Colorado's gold mining days!
2. There are 3 wildflowers seasons in Colorado. April - June is the spring show. June-August is PEAK season! Aug - Oct is the fall display.
3. There are more than 750 types of wildflowers found in Colorado. There are many apps you can load to your phone so when you are hiking or biking, you can look them up as you go. Some are free, some are not. Here is a good start, especially if you travel: https://www.wildflowersearch.org
4. It's actually illegal to pick wildflowers!
5. Some are toxic to humans AND 4-leggeds! Best not to eat any unless you know which ones to avoid. Larkspur, Death Camas, Water Hemlock are a few.
6. Colorado has a wildflower capitol! And they host a wildflower festival each year. It's Crested Butte!
JLS Landscape & Sprinkler, Inc.
JLS has been maintaining quality landscapes for corporate and commercial clients in Colorado for over 40 years.